Over the past few years, June has been the busiest month for motor vehicle collisions with deer in Wisconsin. As deer search for places to give birth and young deer begin to separate with their mothers, deer activity increases during the early summer. While fall is usually the busiest season for deer crashes, June has been the worst or second-worst month for motor vehicle-deer accidents in four of the last five years. To prevent motor vehicle collisions with deer, the State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation offers the following tips:
- Always watch out for deer;
- Slow down;
- Eliminate driving distractions;
- Wear your safety belt;
- Be especially watchful during the early morning and evening hours;
- If you see a deer by the road, slow down and honk your horn with one long blast to frighten the deer to run away; and
- If you see one deer, watch out for more because deer seldom travel alone.
The Milwaukee car accident lawyers at Samster, Konkel & Safran, S.C. have helped many people who have been injured in vehicle collisions. If you or someone you know has been injured in a motor vehicle crash, contact us for a free online case evaluation.